On Nov 19, 2007, at 6:59 AM, David Joyner wrote:

>> Further down the road, Drew Sutherland is thinking about writing a C+
>> + library for computing things like orders, exponents, structures of
>> generic abelian groups. Basically you give it a "black box" that
>> knows how to add group elements, invert group elements, produce the
>> identity, and produce random elements, and it efficiently works out
>> the structure of the group, etc. No firm plans yet though.... I'm
>
> How do you produce a random element without knowing the
> generators of the group? And, for an abelian group, the
> generators give you the "invariants" quickly don't they?

Oh boy.... you guys have exhausted my meagre knowledge on this
subject pretty quickly :-)

I think the idea is supposed to be that part of the definition of the
black box is that it can produce random elements, regardless of
whether you know the generators. So for example, suppose our group is
the multiplicative group of Z/NZ, for some large N whose
factorisation we don't know. It's pretty easy to produce random
elements of this group (or at least, every time you write down a
random integer in [0, N), you have either found a random element, or
can easily find a non-trivial factor of N by taking the gcd with N).
But it's very hard to find generators (should be roughly equivalent
to factoring N?).

And yes, once you have the generators, I guess you have everything
else very easily.

david