On Nov 29, 2007, at 5:41 PM, mabshoff wrote:

>> So, hypothetically speaking, if I wanted to help with windows
>> development, what are my options for getting windows running on my
>> macbook?
>>

> With bootcamp you can install Windows in a separate partition. VMWare
> Fusion lets you virtualize it (there is a free VMWare player, not sure
> if it exists for Windows), Parallels is quite nice also, but also
> costs some money. You need a windows license to install Windows
> itself.

So I would need to upgrade to 10.5.x ($$), and buy a copy of windows
($$), if I wanted to do this legally. That's quite a hurdle.

> Another option is to use telnet and/or ssh to log into a Windows box
> remotely. There are also various other protocols to access Windows on
> a framebuffer level. It might be a good idea in the long term to set
> up a box at U Washington to have a homogeneous development environment
> and so on.

If this can be done, that could be a great help.

I do have access to my wife's windows machine, but it has a habit of
freezing fairly regularly, and to be honest I don't enjoy using it
very much.

david