On Dec 5, 4:17 pm, Robert Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anyone have any thoughts on the following? Luke Wolcott showed me
> this example- the traceback looks suspect, but I don't know about the
> internals here. Is this just something that is too big?

Just for fun, I took a look at what the code is doing.  (I don't know
the math here, so I can't tell whether the problem is too big or the
code is buggy.)

The call to monomials() from relative_order_from_ring_generators() is
going to create a list of 3^20 elements (about 3.5 billion elements).
Each element is a univariate polynomial with up to 240 terms, where
the coefficients are rationals with numerators and denominators of up
to about 240 digits.  (Only about 4.7 million of the list elements are
actually this big.)

Carl Witty