My housemates have been writing a Python wrapper for SVDLIBC (a C library
that does SVDs for sparse and dense matrices over the reals) using Swig.  I
suggested that they use Cython instead and thought that this might make a
good spkg.  I've asked a few people about sparse SVDs, and I think Sage
currently has no mechanism to do this.  Thoughts?  At some point I'll
probably ask for help on IRC in making an spkg since I've only been involved
in writing library code and not at all on the spkg side of things.

The website for SVDLIBC:
http://tedlab.mit.edu/~dr/SVDLIBC/

David