On Dec 28, 2007, at 1:06 PM, William Stein wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2007 5:58 AM, David Joyner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 27, 2007 3:40 AM, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I occasionally get emails like the one below.  There's no way I
>>> have the
>>> time or inclination to burn and mail out DVD's of Sage to
>>> people.  Does
>>> anybody:
>>>
>>>    (1) want to volunteer to do this sort of thing in exchange for
>>> some
>>>          "shipping and handling fees"; then all such requests get
>>>          refereed to you, or
>>>
>>>    (2) Is there some dot-com that does something like this for a
>>> fee?
>>

>> Maybe lulu does:
>> http://www.lulu.com/en/help/disc_faq
>> Apparently, It has to be set up first and I don't know how easy it
>> is to
>> upgrade to a new version.
>
> This looks excellent.   Basically you upload an iso of the data
> dvd, and
> they burn and ship it on demand for < $10/copy.    This is
> perfect.  I could
> just do this once every time we have a major release.   I can add a
> few
> dollars on each DVD, to pay whoever actually does the work of putting
> together the ISO, updating it, etc.
>
> David -- many thanks for tracking this down.

This does look perfect. Once this is set up, creating and uploading
the iso should be a trivial task (done via a script), and if the
artwork remained the same for all double-point releases that should
be easy too, so I don't think a couple of dollars is worth the hassle
of collecting and re-distributing it. I'll volunteer to set it up
(though until 2.9.2 I'm going to be focusing on the 3d stuff).

- Robert