Robert wrote:

> > > I don't have any experience with wx widgets yet. One of the big
> > > challenges Sage developers have been working on lately is interactive
> > > widget like features. The main challenge is the existing notebook
> > > structure, which uses web browsers to serve an application. Java seems
> > > to be the only option, and until recently we hadn't found much
> > > (although jmol has potential). How is your experience with wxPython?

I have been working on adding rich widget capabilities to the
notebook.  If anyone would like to see a demonstration of what the
notebook is capable of so far, just execute the following code in a
worksheet cell (these both need to be all one line when executed so
remove any newline characters the email system added to them):

Rich GUI Widgets:

html('<applet id="mathrider" code="SwingSetApplet" width="695"
height="525"
codebase="http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/tkosan/mathrider/SwingSet/";
archive="SwingSet.jar" MAYSCRIPT></applet>')

Exceptional 2D graphics:

html('<applet id="mathrider" code="Java2DemoApplet.class" width="695"
height="525"
codebase="http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/tkosan/mathrider/Java2D/";
archive="Java2Demo.jar" MAYSCRIPT></applet>')

Ted