On Jan 22, 2008, at 9:08 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> I think this could be an exciting way to get all the java applet
>>> makers out there interested in sage, although I don't completely
>>> understand the architecture of what this is supposed to do.
>>
>> Wouldn't a Java applet imply that the functionality it provides
>> could only be
>> accessed via Sage's web interface?
>>
>> I would like to establish some (roughly) like this: If a
>> computation cannot be
>> expressed from the command line (in pure Python) then it cannot be
>> a standard
>> part of Sage. E.g. if you cannot compute $sin(x)$ for some $x$
>> from the
>> command line but you can do it by clicking some Java buttons, then
>> this
>> functionality would not be considered a part of (standard) Sage.
>>
>> Would that make sense?
>> Martin
>
> No, that makes no sense at all.  First off, I don't see this as a
> danger.  Second, interactive widgets are pretty frikkin' sweet --
> you should have seen the stuff high school kids were doing with
> Manipulate in Mathematica at the joint math meeting.  The notebook
> already has a number of features that the commandline doesn't.  Why
> do you feel the need to "freeze" the interface of Sage so it can
> never grow past the commandline?  That's Matlab's approach, and I
> think their interface sucks.

I am not at all sure what "JSON" is all about, but if it pertains
mostly to the user interface, rather than the mathematics capability
of Sage, then I think that

  - it should be "non standard";

  - perhaps it is time to take seriously the split between the "front
end" and "kernel" of Sage itself.

Doing this runs the danger of fragmenting the development effort, but
it does let those interested in the notebook aspects of Sage focus on
that, while those interested in the mathematics can focus on their
piece(s).

This will prove to be way too simplistic a view, I think, and I can
foresee some significant issues arising from such a split, but it may
be time to discuss it, so that it doesn't "just happen".

Forewarned is forearmed (although most of us have only two :-}).

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-at-Large
() The ASCII Ribbon Campaign