I can build R-4.0.2 as standalone, why does it fail in Sage?
As for ecl, perhaps wait until we can use system one?
At a lower priority, config is still not seeing python3, together with

arb cddlib cliquer eclib ecm fflas_ffpack flint flintqs fplll gf2x gfan givaro glpk gp2c iml isl lcalc libbraiding libgd libsemigroups lrcalc m4ri m4rie mpc mpfi mpfr mpir nauty ntl pari pari_elldata pari_galdata pari_galpol pari_nftables pari_seadata pari_seadata_small perl_cpan_polymake_prereq planarity ppl python3 r rw symmetrica tachyon

On 7/1/20 3:45 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
On 2020-07-01 09:23, Nicolo' Piazzalunga wrote:
Thanks.
I'm puzzled by 'does not support check for system package'/'no suitable
system package' in config.log

We haven't written the script to detect a system copy of ECL yet. We're
in the middle of upgrading to a new major version of it, and only after
that's done will it make sense to detect a system copy (which will have
to be brand new). See,

   * https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/22191
   * https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29617

E.g. why is it not finding boost, isl, and why is it building ecl (just
to list a few), all of which are installed as system packages?

I think Dima answered your question for these two, but in general, you
can check config.log to see what decision the ./configure script made
and why. If you need to dig further, the detection scripts are in

   build/pkgs/<name-of-package>/spkg-configure.m4

in the sage source tree.