On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 06:44:59PM -0700, Daniel Bump wrote:

> On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 3:12:36 PM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> >
> > I guess this is due to gfortran 10.
> > We still do not support gcc 10, I think.
> > Can you downgrade it to gfortran 9?
> >

> I had gfortran10 which came with gcc. In installed gfortran (with Homebrew)
> which gave me gfortran 8.2. I was then able to build sage.

Your config.log says you're using gfortran 10.
Most probably it causes the failure to build scipy.

I see what happened:
https://formulae.brew.sh/cask/gfortran
says it's version 8.2, and that it conflicts with
Homebrew's gcc package, which is gcc10, which also gives you
gfortran10.

So you have a number of ways to proceed:
1) remove gcc package (you don't need it for Sage, as
We don't build Sage with "real" gcc on macOS for years. Xcode has gcc
which is actually clang, the default macOS C/C++ compiler, and this
might cause the confusion.  One does need a fortran compiler, and we
support gfortran, which happens to be a part of gcc, so an extra
potential confusion here)
and re-install gfortran package (which should give you gfortran 8.2,
which works with Sage).
This is probably the quckest way to get a working Sage

2) Stay on gcc10, and merge https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29766
(currently marked as "needs work", due to some warning messages causing
some tests fail, nothing serious)
Cross your fingers, perhaps it will work.

HTH
Dima