Hi Mike,

Thanks for the explanation.

Indeed a Permutation could be represented by an element of a symmetric
group, but we would want to make sure that until a group-theoretic
question
is asked, no call to GAP should interfere with the calculations.

Your:

sage: G = Permutations(3)

would be analogous to

sage: G = Set(SymmetricGroup(3))

i.e. you are not concerned with the group structure.

I have thought that permutation groups should be generalised to act
on
arbitrary sets -- that is one feature which you implement.

Similarly, from a glance at your code, you appear to allow right or
left actions on a set.  Again, a useful construction to have G-sets
with right and/or left actions.

The multiset actions require more thought to put in a general context.

I think it would be useful to model PermutationGroup's on all of the
features that you want or need, then see if they can be made as
light as the implementation you have, but as efficient as the cython
coded permutations for the arithmetic of the group law and group
actions.

--David