On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 4:13:52 PM UTC+9 Fredrik Johansson wrote:

> I'm not sure if there can be such a field. For exact use, perhaps. In
> general, Calcium will be much slower than RR or RBF if you just want
> numerical values. It will be terrible for plotting, for example. In any
> case, there would probably not be a unique "Calcium field" -- you would be
> able to create different fields with different internal simplification
> behavior (absolute vs relative algebraic numbers, expanding complex
> exponentials into real and imaginary parts, etc.).

The legend of RealField, as I heard, tells  that it is really an illusion
of the real field in which you compute symbolically but exactly. Internally
different fields are created but they all cooperate to create the illusion.
It walks slow but exact. Numerical battles are just delegated to the other
"real fields".

If it is possible though not perfect, I would prefer it to an abstract
ghost.