I am having problems building Sage with a recently updated homebrew Python
3.9 on OS X Big Sur, apparently because it sets MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to
11. (Insert Spinal Tap joke here.) If you run `brew update` on Big Sur, I'm
guessing that you will run into this.

- There is a problem because of wheel: see https://github.com/pypa/
wheel/issues/385. (Update at #31050.) This leads to failures when building
gmpy2 and cython.

- There is a problem with cffi because its setup.py has

get_config_var("MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET").split('.')

This fails because `get_config_var` returns an `int` in this case rather
than a string.

(No trac ticket yet. The most recent version of cffi doesn't fix this, as
far as I can tell, but it's easy to write a patch.)

- There is a similar problem with numpy:

    os.environ['MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET'] = target
   TypeError: str expected, not int

I haven't tried to fix that one yet, so I don't know if there are more
problems.

--
John