On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 1:27 PM Trevor Karn <trevor.k.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would be willing to help make improvements to the manual, my only
> hesitation is that I'm not 100% sure what is going on with the bootstrapping.
> Is there anything particular to bootstrapping in Sage that wouldn't show up
> in googling around about it?

./bootstrap is a shell script that calls autoconf and other autotools,
as well as sets up several other
things.

It would make sense if bootstrap also printed platform-specific system packages
(as listed in build/pkgs/_bootstrap/distros/<platform>.txt)  it needs,
in case it fails and tells them to  try "./bootstrap -d", - see the lines

                echo >&2 "Bootstrap failed. Either $verb autotools or
run bootstrap with"
                echo >&2 "the -d option to download the auto-generated
files instead."

in bootstrap.

It ought to be relatively straightforward (not sure about platform
recongition, this might be
a bit of work (probably copying from the right place in Sage's build/ ?)

Dima