Hi John,

> I'm not sure I understand the end of your message.  Nowhere does the
> code I have in mind assume that anything is cyclic, let alone of prime
> order:  the bsgs and dlog functions will terminate if there is no
> solution, with a ValueError.

Since baby-step, giant-step is deterministic, you can do so.  A
Pollard-rho
algorithm is probabilistic with similar expected runtime, but often
faster,
and uses less memory.  However, it  can fail to terminate if the
discrete
logarithm is not satisfied.  For generic abelian groups one should
have
both BSGS and Pollard rho algorithms available, and it should be
possible
to use exponent or group order bounds, exact group exponents and
orders,
and factored group orders, when this information is available.

--David