On Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 5:17:37 AM UTC-8 emanuel.c...@gmail.com wrote:

> An alternative would be to create an alternative Windows port relying on
> WSL2 (which essentially runs a Linux kernel and a Linux distribution on top
> of Windows, in native mode and with few performance impact), possibly
> presenting less maintenance problems. This would, however, exclude support
> of any Windows version earlier than recent Windows 10. Is that a problem ?
> [...] Furthermore, to be realistic, we should be able to commit ourselves
> to maintain a binary distribution for at least one WSL2-supported Linux
> platform.

This is an important point. In fact, Ubuntu and perhaps other distributions
that run on WSL (1 or 2) already package recent versions of Sage.
So perhaps all we need to do is test that these packages work well; and
then update our documentation to recommend one or the other to potential
users on Windows. (For the issue of testing of downstream packaging of Sage
- see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29060)

Also other aspects of supporting Windows can be much improved by what
basically amounts to writing documentation.

See
- https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/31156 (Doc: Add instructions how to run
Sage + Jupyter notebook in WSL, browser in Windows)
- https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/31157 (Doc: Add instructions on how to
run the SageMath jupyter kernel in WSL, add as a kernel to Jupyter running
natively in Windows)