On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 2:16 AM Matthias Koeppe
<matthiaskoe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 2:35:45 PM UTC-8 vdelecroix wrote:
>>
>> Why make it part of cysignals? The purpose of the memory allocator
>> is quite distinct from cysignals. Merging them look artificial to me.
>

> Really? MemoryAllocator is just a wrapper class around cysignals.memory

Was there ever any action on this?  MemoryAllocator does seem like a
useful thing to have as an independent package.  It's basically a more
sophisticated version of the SomeMemory recipe given in the Cython
docs:
https://cython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/src/tutorial/memory_allocation.html

I agree that it's distinct from cysignals.  It doesn't necessarily
have to depend on cysignals, and could have a hook interface to allow
different memory allocation functions.  It just happens to use the
ones from cysignals since Sage already uses cysignals, and its memory
functions have the advantage of being interrupt-safe.

I would continue using cysignals by default for an initial
implementation, but if anyone had a need for it, it would be possible
to make this work with cysignals as an optional dependency as well.