On Fri, 16 Apr 2021, 16:31 Dr David Kirkby, <drkir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you. I never see thata. I'm using a laptop to connect to the
> workstation, via a WiFi link, which might be the issue.
>
> I was rather looking for a "stable release", rather than a release
> candidate, as in general software at least, the stable releases have less
> features, but less bugs. But maybe that's not appropriate here.
>
> You may recall me from years ago porting Sage to Solaris. I have all but
> given up with Solaris now, and are interested in learning some number
> theory.

Certainly the old Sage hands recall you.

We still have access to a Sparc Solaris 11.4 machine, not much time to get
the port fixed again, though.

https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/24596
(marked closed, but it's cause we for a while didn't have access. needless
to say, it's mostly academic interest now,
an example of a big-endian box)

> Dave
>
> On Friday, 16 April 2021 at 16:20:08 UTC+1 dim...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 16 Apr 2021, 15:36 Dr David Kirkby, <drki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm fairly certain I built 9.2 on this machine before, but it failed
>>> this time.
>>>
>>> Dell 7920
>>> 320 GB RAM
>>> 2 x Intel Xeon 8167M CPUs (2.0 GHz, 26-core each)
>>> Machine under a heavy load looking for Mersenne Primes at GIMPS
>>>
>>> 1) Run configure
>>> 2) make -j50
>>>
>>> [gap-4.10.2.p1]
>>> [gap-4.10.2.p1] Error: failed to extract
>>> /home/dkirkby/sage-9.2/upstream/gap-4.10.2.tar.bz2
>>> [gap-4.10.2.p1]
>>> [gap-4.10.2.p1] Please email sage-devel (
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel)
>>> [gap-4.10.2.p1] explaining the problem and including the log file
>>> [gap-4.10.2.p1]   /home/dkirkby/sage-9.2/logs/pkgs/gap-4.10.2.p1.log
>>> [gap-4.10.2.p1] Describe your computer, operating system, etc.