I'd be extremely hesitant to remove something that's been a standard
package for over a decade unless it was causing major headaches.  I could
be wrong, but isn't SageTeX just a couple files totaling under 25K?

The vast majority of SageMath users install it from binaries; tell them to
run "make sagetex" or mess with "configure" would not help them.

Best,

Nathan