I wrote:
> I've noticed that some (many) Python-level error messages (e.g., syntax
> errors) from Sage 9.5.beta8 fail to give the name of the source file
> in which the error occured.  [[...]]

On Sat, Jan 08, 2022 at 10:24:07PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky replied:
> I think the load() method has been superseded by whatever magic ipython
> offers. I'm not an expert, but I think
>
>   sage: %run <file>
>
> will give you a better error message.

Thanks for the suggestion.  A bit of poking around shows that the sage
input
   sage: run 'file-name'
will work nicely.  (There's no initial '%' sign -- the sage preparser
adds that back on.)

Alas, this is ONLY valid at the top-level ipython/sage REPL.  Inside
a 'run-ed' file, the run command doesn't work (it's a syntax error
regardless of whether it's spelled 'run' or '%run').

More generally, suppose I have a bunch of Sage assignments-to-globals
and function definitions in several files, say
  foo.sage
  bar.sage
  baz.sage
what's the idiomatic way for some other piece of Sage source code to
execute the contents of all of those files?  What I've been doing is
to create another file (say 'setup.sage') which contains the lines
  load('foo.sage')
  load('bar.sage')
  load('baz.sage')
so that
  load('setup.sage')
(either at the interactive Sage prompt or in another source file) loads
all the individual files.  This works fine apart from the un-helpful
error messages when (not if, *when*) I have bugs in my code.  Is there
a more idiomatic way?

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove color- to reply]" <jthorn4...@pink-gmail.com>
   on the west coast of Canada, eh?