Hi,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 08:37:52AM -0800, William Stein wrote:
[...]
> Amazing.  Does anybody reading this use 32-bit Linux?

Not using on a daily basis, but in in october 2021, i built a Sage
Debian Live 32 bit because Nicolas was going to teach Sage in Burkina
Faso (and i was teaching Sage in Algeria a couple of weeks later), and
to be honest, cygwin is too slow to be used during such a tutorial. The
image can still be downloaded at:

https://lipn.univ-paris13.fr/~monteil/hebergement/bobo/2021-10-16-sage_9.4-debian_bullseye-live_20210407.img
sha256sum : 7b6b9c6bc57bfd177286d20e7878e456aec67cda398d88bf3a43f291badbeaf9

Such Sage binaries are built within a qemu VM.

Note that not all optional packages are installed (some failed to
build), and some doctests are failing, which is why i did not release it
(and because i still want to fix some things in the SDL itself). But it
still contains most of Sage.

What seems clear to me is that, as i stopped to release SDL for a while,
the number of 32bit issues increased (by lack of pressure), also, most
upstream projects seem not test fo 32bit architecture anymore.

Apparently, there was at least one student with a 32bit laptop in
Burkina Faso, none in Algeria. The next SDL will be 64bit, though we
could continue to use my qemu machinery to build and test for 32bit
arcitecture.

Ciao,
Thierry