On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 6:20 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  Dirty, William.  I can't believe you blame this on me -- that was all
>> Robert's fault.  Anyway.  I've co-opted Ajanki's framework, and have
>> rewritten the core of the search algorithm to be iterative.  And, without a
>> single goto!  I'm going to test this some more, and update my patch for
>> #2271 in a few hours.  Seems to work flawlessly, and I can color K_22 in
>> less than 8 seconds (not impressive, no, except that previously, attempting
>> to color K_14 exceeded recursion limit).
>
> Are you still keen for me to write a wrapper for my C++ code? I got
> most of the way on the weekend...

While I put a fair amount of work into making the search iterative, my pride
doesn't get in the way -- if your code is better, then it goes in.

What is "better" is a bit debatable: faster is a big portion, but quality of
code and documentation is big, too... and these days, documentation is getting
more attemtion than code.  As such, I've put as much effort into documenting
Ajanki's code as I have into making it work better.  Also, a side effect of my
effort is that the code is now ready to be rewritten in Cython, so easy to
maintain.

Your code is probably a million times faster than mine (if we convert Ajanki's
code to Cython, yours will probably remain faster, but less so).  How's the
documentation?  Doctests?

Here's what I've got so far.  I'm inclined to say, I should finish documenting
this file (2 or three more routines needed) so we can include this in the next
release.  Or, if your code is all documented & ready to go, we can go with
that; no skin off my back.

http://sage.math.washington.edu/dlx.py