On Sat, 2022-04-23 at 08:28 -0400, ph h wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> If the three files:
>
>    1. sage/sage
>    2. sage/src/bin/sage
>    3. sage/src/bin/sage-env
>
> are to be factored out into
>
>    1. sage/resolvelinks.in
>    2. sage/sage.sage.in
>    3. sage/sage.src.bin.sage.in
>    4. sage/sage.src.bin.sage-env.in

Note: the ".in" suffix doesn't mean "include," by convention it roughly
means "a file that will be processed by ./configure". So, for example,
Makefile.in gets turned into Makefile when you run ./configure.

> Please advise how can this attempt be tested:
>
>    1. Before 'make configure' is run at $SAGE_ROOT
>    2. Before './configure' is run at $SAGE_ROOT
>    3. Before 'make' is run   at $SAGE_ROOT
>    4. After installation is completed

In general: just go try it and see what breaks. Here there are two
problems:

  1. The python build system apparently can't make the right path
     substitutions (like autotools could), and we use the python
     build system for the bits relevant to these files.

  2. Everyone wants the top-level "sage" script to work out of the box
     without being configured, built, or installed. Within "sage",
     then, how can you know where to look for the resolvelinks.sh
     file? You can't use $0 if $0 is a link unless you know how to
     resolve it.