Yes, you have. To better integrate it into Sage, I would expand the
existing functionality of FiniteDimensionalAlgebra (and ideally it would do
the basis and multiplication table lazily) . This class would likely need
some additional work to get it to do what you eventually want, but it would
make for a good project. Note that FiniteDimensionalAlgebra already has a
class for ideals.

Sage, in principle, should also be able to construct any subalgebra of a
finite-dimensional algebra given by generators using some of its generic
code (i.e., not just from a subalgebra of all matrices) through a simple
modification of your code. (In practice, I think the matrices are
essentially compatible up to dealing with issues of mutability. I don't
know how much this has been tested though...)

Some general coding advice: Python is an object-oriented programming
language. This means you can organize your code into logical groupings
called "classes" that give additional information about what the data
represents. So rather than having a bunch of unrelated functions, they can
become more tied together (of course, when this appropriate). It is wise to
take advantage of this.

Best,
Travis