On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 10:01:08 AM UTC-7 max.w....@gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks! I gave it a shot but unfortunately it still didn't work.
>
> However, the reasons are strange because now python3 seems to be the
> culprit.
> Perhaps relevant: I installed openssl via apt-cyg and it seems like 'make'
> is not trying to build openssl anymore.
> Perhaps also relevant: python3 is installed on my machine, but it's Python
> 3.9.10 whereas Sage seems to require Python 3.10.5.

No, Sage accepts any system Python >= 3.8.

> But cygwin doesn't seem to have it:
> https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/python3.html
>
> I attached the config log and the python log.

In your config.log one can see that system python3 is not rejected because
of a version check:
## Checking whether SageMath should install SPKG python3... ##
configure:34869: checking whether any of bzip2 liblzma libffi is installed
as or will be installed as SPKG
configure:34874: result: yes; install python3 as well
configure:36263: no suitable system package found for SPKG python3