hybrid.

[it provides an immediate solution to an urgent problem *and* it provides a
reasonably automated path for updating. It does indeed put some files under
sage git control that shouldn't be, but compared to the urgency of the
problem at the moment, that's minor.

It looks to me that avoiding the git control problem requires there to be a
tarball to point at if we don't want to insist on git as a prereq for
building from source. Since that tarball does not exist, we'd need to make
it. We did that in the past for nearly all the spkgs. We'd basically need
to have a separate repo somewhere "gnulib-for-sagemath" that maintains a
tool to extract and package the required files for sagemath in an
appropriate package and then host that resulting package (a tarball, I
presume) somewhere. We'd just make a derivative of gnulib that DOES have
tarball releases. On itself, that sounds like it could have merit, but one
would weigh that against the cost. On the plus side: once the tarball is
up, it would likely not change for *many* years. Only when we run into
trouble would one have to pull the lever to generate a new release.