On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 9:19 AM David Roe <roed.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've started working on a list of pros and cons to be included in the email
> proposing a vote.  Even though I favor the switch, I've tried to accurately
> and neutrally describe the arguments in each direction.  I welcome help and
> additions, but please keep them in this spirit (conversely, if you feel like
> I'm misrepresenting an argument or making unjustified claims, please let me
> know).
>
> There has also been some discussion of how the vote should be carried out.
>
> * There was a proposal to make the deadline two weeks after the call for the
> vote.  That sounds fine to me.
> * I intend to include a plea for people to keep discussion on a separate
> thread rather than the voting thread.
> * There was a proposal for people who have been more involved somehow to have
> their votes count extra.  I don't think this is a good idea: it's not clear
> how to draw the line or what the weighting should be, and I think it's more
> likely to cause resentment than alleviate it.

But on the other hand, if, say, the release manager didn't want to
move (like Jeroen did in the past) then
we wouldn't be able to move (without finding another release manager).
Saying this, looks like the release manager should have (almost) veto
powers here.

> * There hasn't been much discussion of Github vs Gitlab on this thread, but
> theoretically there are three choices in play.

I think that given my negative experience with GitLab, I won't want to
even consider participating in a potential trac -> GitLab move, this
is technically trickier, due to different low-level APIs to be used in
migration tools.
And GitLab is not in a very good shape in general, compared to GitLab;
we don't want to spent a lot of effort to move to a platform that
might fold in some way soon.

Besides, given our extensive use of GitHub CI (Actions), and
uselessness of the corresponding GitLab options,
GitHub is a clear preference. Integrating GitHub Actions with a GitLab
repo, or finding a way to use GitLab for CI is an extra burden.
Everyone who prefers GitLab  should be asked a question whether he'd
be willing to work
on these rather tricky and thankless tasks.

I'd rather focus the vote primarily on the move away from trac, not
specifying whether it's GitHub or GitLab.

>  Given that, we face Arrow's theorem in picking a voting system (especially
> if we also want to allow people to abstain).  I'm normally in favor of a
> Borda count variant, but with three options and Github and Gitlab more
> similar to each other than to trac, I propose Ranked pairs for a voting
> system.  I suspect there may be voting theory experts lurking, so I'm happy
> to hear other opinions.

I'll have a word with my in-house voting theory expert :-)

> * There was a proposal to require 2/3 either in favor of a switch or not
> opposing.  I'm open to this, but would be interested in hearing other
> opinions.  Perhaps we allow people to abstain, and then require that at least
> 2/3 either abstain or prefer the winner to trac?  With this in place, maybe
> our voting system doesn't actually matter, but it's probably safer to pick
> one.

I don't see why all of a sudden we talk about 2/3rds, not a simple
majority. Have we ever had a vote which was not a simple majority vote
here? In the absense of a written "constitution", i.e. in a
precedence-based system, deviating from
the existing precedence requires a separate action (maybe in form of a
civil war :-)).
If we must vote on this topc (as you know, I'm against this) let's do
simple majority.

Dima