Hi all,

I had a weird issue with sage recently which boiled down to `make build` completing without an error (at first glance) but giving me an ill-configured sage.

What happened is that the `bootstrap` script, in charge of building the `configure` script, had failed to build and decided to download a configure script from sage's mirrors as a fallback (as told by the -d flag). Because this only prints an error message but does not fail, `make build` kept running and completed successfully. I didn't see the error message in the pile of logs that it produces.

While I understand that downloading a fallback configure script can be okay in many cases, I don't think this is a good default behaviour. I would rather have `make build` fail, tell me about `./bootstrap -d`, and let me decide if I want to address the problem or use the fallback script.

Do you have any opinion on this? I'm happy to open a ticket implementing my suggestion.
(And sorry if that's been discussed already.)

Cheers,
Martin