I suggest this procedure:

You open an issue: "promote me to a reviewer". Then if you get enough
hearts from other reviewers,  an admin promotes you.

On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 7:07:04 PM UTC+9 Martin R wrote:
I was unable to find out how I declare myself as reviewer in the new
workflow.

This question applies to

* pull requests without issue (I'm not sure yet how they work: given a
number like #35053, how can I see issue and pull request associated to it?

* issues without pull requests.

Martin