I am beginning to think that more ball/interval arithmetic should be
involved here, in particular as dealing with RealField  is not much faster
than RealBallField with the same precision, yet allows a degree of control
over the error propagation.
(and perhaps the default 53 bits out to be bumped up to something more
appropriate for the hardware in  2023).

If one wants fast floats, then RDFs may be used.

Dima