On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 10:40 AM Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > For a long time it was very important for getting a functional Sage on
> > MacOS; is that no longer the case?
> Sorry, I don't understand.
>
> Noone I know builds Python (the only package that needs openssl) from source.
> For a long time it has been perfectly possible on macOS to either use
> Python from python.org, or Python from Homebrew,
> or Python3 from Conda.
> If you really need to build Python from source on macOS, fine, build
> it yourself and install it in /usr/local.
>
> We should remove python3 spkg, and gcc spkg too, for the same reason.
> It's a ballast slowing down
> Sage's progress.

When I started Sage in 2004, it was entirely possible that we would
make some interesting changes to Python itself, e.g., make the
preparser into some core functionality of the parser, make integers
much faster, etc.  None of that ever happened at all, and in
retrospect, since Python got so big, I'm glad it didn't (but see [1]).
The potential for such development was one of the reasons for building
Python from source, but I think that ship sailed long ago.  Also, the
Python community has really grown a lot in terms of supporting
installing python anywhere.  So I'm definitely not against Dima's
suggestion.

---

[1] Incidentally, I worked a lot last year on a Python parser written
in a subset of Python and hosted on a Javascript runtime, and for that
I added several of the preparser features in the "from future import
..." style of Python.

https://github.com/sagemathinc/cowasm/blob/main/python/pylang/README.md#math-extensions-like-the-sage-preparser

--
William (http://wstein.org)