On 2023-04-26 19:59:01, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 7:37:17 PM UTC-7 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>
> Just as a data point, eliminating the spkg and only supporting system PARI
> 2.15.x would have the effect to eliminate support of:
> - all versions of Ubuntu except for 23.04 (lunar);
> - all openSUSE Leap versions, leaving only the rolling distro (Tumbleweed).
> Source: https://repology.org/project/pari/versions

It would be better if we could support the last minor version of PARI
as well, but I'm not volunteering anyone else's time to do it. If we
adopt a more flexible approach in sagelib, we'll sometimes get lucky:
there just won't be any breakage between minor versions, or it will be
trivial to support both. But yes, there will eventually be some change
that forces us to say "upgrade your PARI, or use an older version of
sage."

It's not the end of the world if users on a distro with old
dependencies have to stick to an older version of sage. Ideally, they
would be getting sage from their distro in the first place. A problem
only arises when you try to build a bleeding-edge sage on an older
stable distro -- an undertaking unsupported by most projects. Anyone
bothered by this can of course send us patches that extend
compatibility to older PARI. The burden of universal support would
however be transferred from the sage developers to the distros where
it rightfully lies.

> All this sounds very reasonable, of course.
>
> A problem that remains is how we would manage user expectations when they
> report a bug to us that turns out to be an upstream bug in a package that
> we no longer carry as an spkg: We would no longer be able to say "it's
> fixed in Sage 10.7" but instead would have to say "not the fault of Sage;
> just go upgrade your Linux distro to the unstable release / ask your distro
> to backport the bugfix / compile the package yourself from source".

That exact response is standard. It's a bit less friendly but a lot
more sensible.