Hi Travis,
Happy to see that you are curious regarding the modularization project, but
I don't think it's a good approach to start this discussion with claims
that sound authoritative ("nobody will actually maintain", "does not
scale", "nearly all end users", etc.) and a policy proposal.

I'd say it's more productive if I explain a few things first that seem
unclear. (In particular I'll note that this work is _unrelated_ to making
"Sage better in terms of being a distribution".)

So I'll post something in the next few days when I find the time for it.

In the meantime, interested readers may want to read the existing
documentation at
https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/packaging_sage_library.html

Matthias