On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Jason Grout
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Ryan Hinton brought up a good point at #2651:
>
>  Currently, matrix(3,{(1,1): 2}) gives the 3x2 sparse matrix
>
>  [0 0]
>  [0 2]
>  [0 0]
>

>  However, for other cases, if we specify just the number of rows, the
>  returned matrix is square (except when we are giving all the entries of
>  the matrix and there aren't enough entries).  So:
>
>  Should the above command return the following instead?
>
>  [0 0 0]
>  [0 2 0]
>  [0 0 0]
>
>  Sorry for bringing up the nitpicky corner cases, but since matrix() is
>  used in a huge number of things, we don't want to mess something up when
>  we replace the constructor.

I very strongly agree that the output of matrix(3,{(1,1): 2})  should be the
sparse matrix:
 [0 0 0]
 [0 2 0]
 [0 0 0]

BTW, there should be an example in the docstring for matrix that illustrates
how to make a dense matrix given a dictionary as input.  E.g.,

sage: matrix(2,{(1,1):5},sparse=False).parent()
Full MatrixSpace of 2 by 2 dense matrices over Integer Ring

 -- William