On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 6:53 PM Matthias Koeppe <matthiaskoe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 6:20:03 PM UTC-7 Travis Scrimshaw wrote:
>
> My understanding of William's goal (please correct me if I am wrong) was
> to put everything together so nobody was trying to build a better wheel. To
> me, by splitting everything up into these small pieces, it seems contrary
> to that goal as how is someone suppose to know the piece they want already
> exists?

I didn't split things up into small pieces only because it is very, very
difficult, takes a lot of time, and I just didn't have the resources to do
it.   Other priorities like increasing doctest coverage were higher.
>From a software engineering perspective modularization is very valuable,
and if we had more resources we definitely would have divided Sage into
more modular blocks long ago.   I'm extremely glad that Matthias is working
on this difficult problem, and I appreciate that you (Travis) are putting
so much effort into clarifying what the heck is going on.

Sage is about building the car instead of reinventing the wheel.  However,
cars are built out of a large number of modular components (e.g., wheels,
carburetor, etc.), and it's good engineering to put a lot of effort into
properly building those components.   I'm absolutely blown away and
thrilled Sage is still around after almost 20 years, and that you guys are
actually doing that sort of work!

--
William (http://wstein.org)