On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 11:07:36 AM UTC-7 David Roe wrote:

I assume that the MANIFEST.in.m4 file contains a list of what's in each
package, right?

That's right, this is the current mechanism.
I have plans for switching this to something more maintainable, which will
also enforce that the set of modules is exactly partitioned into the
various didstributions.

There's also sagemath-objects and sagemath-categories (are there any
others?);

Yes, these are two of the most fundamental distributions. See this diagram
for the runtime dependency relations
<https://sagemath-tobias.netlify.app/developer/packaging_sage_library.html#hierarchy-of-distribution-packages>
.

sagemath-objects
<https://github.com/mkoeppe/sage/tree/t/32432/modularization_of_sagelib__break_out_a_separate_package_sagemath_polyhedra/pkgs/sagemath-objects>

has everything that makes the coercion system work (including functorial
constructions).

 On top of that, sagemath-categories
<https://github.com/mkoeppe/sage/tree/t/32432/modularization_of_sagelib__break_out_a_separate_package_sagemath_polyhedra/pkgs/sagemath-categories>
 provides
the full set of categories, basic rings, functions, without introducing
non-Python library dependencies.

can you send analogous links for those so that we can understand how the
library is being broken up into pieces?  Is every file part of exactly one
package (aside from sagemath-standard, which is the union of all of them?).

It depends on whether we're talking about the modules directly included in
(shipped by) a distribution package, or also the modules shipped by the
declared runtime dependencies of the distribution package.
Each module is shipped by exactly one distribution package.
sagemath-standard will ship very few modules directly, but will have lots
of other distributions as declared runtime dependencies, which will be
installed automatically.