On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 1:02 PM Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com>
wrote:

> The second issue is that WebAssembly doesn't actually solve the
> problems we have,

By "the problem we have" I guess maybe you mean "Sage is a lot of work to
maintain".    The fundamental
and massive problem that I think SageMath has is that it is not part of
the  Python ecosystem,
by which I mean that there is no good way to do "pip install
sagemath-[foo]", in sufficient generality.

PROBLEM: SageMath is not part of the Python ecosystem.

DEFINITION: A piece of software is part of the Python ecosystem, if you can
do "pip install <software-name>" on
basically the same platforms as the intersection of where you can install
scipy/numpy/matplotlib/pandas,
and with somewhat comparable resource usage (i.e., installing Sagemath
can't use 100x of the time/space of
the above, as that would be unfair).

There are many tools to help solve this problem, and WebAssembly is
definitely one of those tools, and at least
scipy/numpy/matplotlib/pandas are all well supported via WebAssembly these
days.

If this problem were solved, I think SageMath would likely have much more
usage, which would have
benefits related to other problems such as "Sage is a lot of work to
maintain".

William

--
William (http://wstein.org)