In principle it seems okay, but to be honest, I don't think I understand
Sage's polynomial rings. It seems like anything goes:

    sage: R.<x> = GF(2)[]
    sage: S.<x> = R[]
    sage: S
    sage: R.0 + S.0
    x + x

Why am I allowed to construct S?

With your proposed changes, what happens in the following situation:

    sage: T.<x,y> = QQ[]
    sage: U.<x,z> = QQ[]
    sage: t1, t2 = T.gens()
    sage: u1, u2 = U.gens()

Can I now add t1, t2, u1, u2 by automatically creating QQ[x,y,z]?

Do we merge, and therefore identify, QQ[x,y] with QQ[y,x]?