Mike Hansen wrote:
>>  The queues feature in Mercurial is available independently in the
>>  quilt system. Mercurial makes this point:
>>   <http://hgbook.red-bean.com/hgbookch12.html>
>
> There are things with queues that you don't get with quilt.  Quoting
> from the book,
>
> "As an example, the integration of patches with revision control makes
> understanding patches and debugging their effects—and their interplay
> with the code they're based on—enormously easier. Since every applied
> patch has an associated changeset, you can use "hg log filename" to
> see which changesets and patches affected a file. You can use the
> bisect extension to binary-search through all changesets and applied
> patches to see where a bug got introduced or fixed. You can use the
> "hg annotate" command to see which changeset or patch modified a
> particular line of a source file. And so on."

I use git to manage my personal/professional file repository.  To me,
Mercurial is much simpler, but git is more powerful and feels more
stable.  I don't have a huge amount of experience with git, though; I
keep forgetting the commands to do things, so I keep putting off
checking things in and working on things in git :).  Thank goodness for
the git-gui, gitk, and qgit tools that give graphical interfaces to a
git repository!

As to queues, of course, the concept and original software originated
with the linux development model, as far as I know.  Git has a tool
called StGit ("Stacked Git"; http://procode.org/stgit/; it's in python!)
and also has Guilt.  The messages at
http://fixunix.com/kernel/368500-announce-stacked-git-0-14-2-a.html seem
to indicate that the two tools overlap (as well as the debian
description http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/guilt).  I haven't
used either tool.

Git also has some very powerful tools in the way of lightweight
branching and rebasing.  One thing in a recent release is git rebase
--interactive, which allows you to basically go back and edit a commit
or change the order of commits, thereby providing queue functionality
that is fully integrated with the versioning system (see
http://blog.madism.org/index.php/2007/09/09/138-git-awsome-ness-git-rebase-interactive).

  I don't think, in the end, that there is anything we can do with
queues that we can't do with git (possibly using one of the above tools
on top of git).  However, I haven't tried (I've only read about it), so
count that opinion as worth the electrons that conveyed it :).

Personally, after getting over the initial learning hump (which I see as
much greater than the mercurial learning hump), I think git would
provide more power.

William, I presume you're looking for something exactly analogous to
svnadmin dump for SVN (see
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05s03.html ).   That command came
in very handy for me when I kept things in SVN for a while.

One option for what Williams wants to do is to convert a copy of the hg
repository to a git repository and then do the text dump (apparently
that is possible...I don't have first-hand experience with that).  I'm
not sure how lossless the conversion would be, but my gut feeling is
that it would be good.

Jason