On Mar 27, 6:11 am, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:59:10 -0700, Robert Bradshaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 26, 2008, at 1:56 PM, mabshoff wrote:

> >> Ok, sounds good. Do you have any pointers or documentation on this?
>
> > Not at the moment, but I've mucked around with mercurial more than
> > most so I don't think it should be too hard once I start looking into
> > it.
>
> Several people suggested asking on the Mercurial list, and we should
> do that.  There might already be an extension or something to do this.
>
> I really don't like the prospect of say Jason Grout's idea to convert
> the whole Sage repo to git and back just to do that.  Ick.
>
> Carl Witty said:
>
> > I still don't understand the requirements.
>
> To convert the hg repo to a plain text non-obfuscated format from which
> one can recreate the original hg repo.
>
> > Second, are you worried about people checking in viruses, or people
> > concealing a virus in the .hg directory without it being checked in?
>
> Both.   Yes, I'm worried about people checking viruses.
> Yes, I'm also worried about people concealing a virus in the .hg directory
> without it being checked in.
>
> > For the former concern, it seems that it would be sufficient to check
> > out the files, and you don't need to recreate the repository.
>
> That requires trusting Mercurial, and that there aren't any bugs in
> Mercurial that allow one to work around such checks.  That isn't a reasonable
> hypothesis, unfortunately.   Also, the virus could be in an old version
> of the repo, so you have to check out that last 9000 or so states of
> the repo.

It isn't even a virus, any kind of malicious code *could* be hidden in
the repo. AFAIK mercurial doesn't prevent you from adding files in the
repo directories. While to you and me a binary .hg directory isn't
really a concern other people see it differently.

> >  For the
> > latter concern, perhaps something based on "hg verify" would suffice
> > to ensure that nothing nasty has been hidden in the repository.
>
> Again, this requires trusting Mercurial, and that nobody found a way
> to workaround something like this in Mercurial. That's again not
> a reasonable assumption to make.

We should all know by now that software is buggy in general, Sage not
being an exception.

Re mercurial vs. git: I don't buy the complexity argument and it isn't
a secret that I prefer git over mercurial. It is unlikely that we will
switch since mercurial works well enough.

Should we ever switch here are two more arguments for git:

 * git handles file permission changes, mercurial doesn't at the
moment
 * git handles empty files gracefully, mercurial doesn't at the moment

Cheers,

Michael