[I took this off sage-support, since it's really a development
discussion]

On Mar 27, 2008, at 15:47 , John Cremona wrote:

> Although Justin's solution certainly works, one might consider adding
> a "real_part()" function to the quaternion class.  But it would not do
> to call the function "real_part" since of course it depends on the
> ground field (which in the example is QQ and not RR).
>
> I am CC'ing sage-devel since this might be worth a ticket, and also to
> ask for suggestions as to what the "real part" might be called in
> general.

I think there is terminology in use for this:
   scalar: in the ground field/ring
   pure:   reduced trace zero
(I think the reduced trace definition works in characteristic 2, but I
didn't work out the details).

Perhaps the term 'scalar' is a bit confusing, but in any case, how
about "scalar_part()" and "pure_part()".

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
--------