On Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 1:06:50 PM UTC-8 Marc Culler wrote:

 It could stop being the case that sage/local *never* contains any python.
Instead sage/local would be the prefix for Sage's installation of Python in
the case where a system python is not being used.

Sure, but that would preclude using the same SAGE_LOCAL for an installation
with venv over a system python and an installation of SPKG python.

But if it's important, we can put the SPKG python in its own prefix that is
only used for creating a venv over it. Very easy change.

I would also suggest putting the venv at the top level, adjacent to local,
rather than have a symlink adjacent to local which points into
sage/local/var/sage.  I would find that to be a much more transparent
layout.

The symlink is there because it also covers the case that a user used
"configure --with-sage-venv=/some/directory".

But I wouldn't be opposed to changing the default physical location of the
venvs from SAGE_LOCAL/var/lib/sage/venv-python3.11 to
SAGE_ROOT/venv-python3.11; there would still be the convenience symlink
"venv".