Here's a quick overview on the discussions on this topic since 2021.

(I collected most of this recently in the Issue description
of https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/32532).

   -

   sage-devel: proposal - remove gcc, gfortran, python building/spkgs
   <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/cSsAsPuVnxg/m/yVSGUFi7BQAJ> (June
   2021)
   - Resulted in implementing configure: Change defaults to
      --with-system-gcc=force, defer error exits after system package info is
      shown #32060 <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/32060>
      - No clear support for removing anything without replacement.
      - Some talk about conda, no action.
   -

   sage-devel: #32532 - removing gcc and gfortran spkgs
   <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/NfUKjAaTcUg/m/JwqDd7mVAwAJ>
(September
   2021)
   - No clear support for anything.
      - Some talk about conda, no action.
   -

   sage-devel: Re: [sage-release] Sage 10.0.rc0 released
   <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/LWKdRM2Gn-s/m/-2JCcw6ZCwAJ> (Apr
   2023) (*TW*: abusive comments)
   -

   sage-devel: What was/is/will be the purpose of maintaining the Sage
   distribution?
   <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/AvH3xq2bCfo/m/Rrr0Chp0DAAJ> (Apr
   2023)
   - Again talk about conda
      - Resulted in opening PR Install some dummy and optional packages
      using conda-forge (micromamba) #35585
      <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/35585>; no reaction
   -

   sage-devel: Policy for disputed PRs: discussion
   <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/rDM3WDHnJkM> (Nov 2023).
   -

   CI Linux: Replace use of pkill #36726
   <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36726> (Nov–Dec 2023) (*TW*:
   abusive comments)

Pointers to related discussions and facts:

On the git repository structure (monorepo / multirepo):
https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/AaKxoNQAWMg/m/uY1rW5n0BQAJ (October
2021), https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36777 (December 2023).

On what systems we support building Sage from
source: https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/32074

What versions of Python we are supporting; including a discussion of
maintenance
costs: https://github.com/sagemath/sage/wiki/NEP-29:-Python-version-strategy