William Stein wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Jo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  I have tried to plot a graphic in the notebook with a small scale (<1)
>>  and it end up by showing up nothing:
>>    sage: var('x')
>>    sage: plot(sin(x), 0, 0.01)
>>

> Try this:
>
> sage: plot(sin(x), 0, 0.01).show(0,0.01, 0, 0.01)
>
> The problem is plot's default scale isn't good enough.  using show you can
> force
> something more useful.

(turning this into a dev discussion :)

You know, we do evaluate the function for lots of points in the
interval, so we ought to have a pretty intelligent idea of the max and
min of the function.  This ought to let us get a pretty good guess at a
ymin and ymax.  If we really wanted to get fancy, we could do a small
statistical analysis to throw out outliers too.

This is now trac #2700.  If anyone wants to post a patch or say why this
isn't reasonable or that it's already done, feel free :).

Jason