On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 6:55 PM Vincent Delecroix
<20100.delecr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I fully second the observation of Michael though it might have few to
> do with the github switch. Sage development nowadays does not seem to
> be anymore about math research and efficient computations but mostly
> about "dependencies", "infrastructure" and "maintenance". I am always
> depressed by reading the change logs. It might have been a reasonable
> thing if sage was a "stable core Computer Algebra System" on which
> further specialized math research libraries would depend on.

Indeed, it doesn't have much to do with switching to GitHub. The
problem is that we don't have a
"stable core", we have a rotting, decaying core, which is in no way
helped by spending time on
micromanaging versions of every tiny piece of Jupyter, Sphinx, Python
build infrastructure, etc.
Something that other maths Python projects (apart from Anaconda) just
accept as given.

What's rotten and decaying - well, the most obvious points are:

* pynac (memory leaks, bugs, sketchy or no docs, authors left long time ago)

* commutative algebra, in particular Singular-based (memory leaks,
bugs, no docs, authors either left or are not willing to look into it
much), etc.

* maxima (bugs, bugs, bugs)

* broken optional packages, e.g. p_group_cohomology