On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 12:09:54 PM UTC-8 Matthias Koeppe wrote:

Prompted by the discussion of space use on the *local machines* of users
and developers, I propose another item in addition to A and B:

*C. Advertise use of "git worktree" and recommend symlinking the "upstream"
directory.* For testing a new release when you have an existing clone of
the repository, using "git clone" another time is overkill as it creates
another copy of the .git directory. And there is no point in having
multiple copies of the "upstream" directory, as the filenames of the
tarballs change whenever the contents change.

That's now https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37411 (needs review)

(I've written it without introducing a new Sage command for now.)