On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 at 11:51, 'Martin R' via sage-devel
<sage-devel@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> On Friday 1 March 2024 at 12:15:36 UTC+1 John Cremona wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 at 11:03, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OTOH, setting the degree of 0 to be -oo has an obvious advantage: it
> automaticlly gives mathematically correct degree of fg, by using
> degree(fg)=degree(f)+degree(g), regardless of f or g being 0. And checking
> the degree is (or at least ought to be) faster than comparing for equality to
> 0.
>
> It's a little dangerous to talk of -oo being "mathematically correct", but I
> have given this definition myself in undergraduate course (and for the reason
> you give) so that's ok, especially as in Sage we do have -oo as a possible
> return value and no requiremt for the value to always be of the same type
> (e.g. Integer).
>
> I would rather say that "-1" is in some cases "mathematically incorrect", in
> particular for Laurent polynomials :-)

What exactly is the "mathematically correct" meaning of "degree" for
Laurent polynomials?

I haven't seen other examples where this is defined except Matlab
which defines it differently from Sage:

https://uk.mathworks.com/help/wavelet/ref/laurentpolynomial.degree.html

The Matlab definition is basically that deg(p(x)*x^m) = deg(p(x)).
This means that for nonzero Laurent polynomials the degree is always
nonnegative. Here deg(x^m) = 0 i.e. the degree of a unit is always 0.

I haven't thought much about this but this definition of degree seems
consistent with the notion of degree as a Euclidean function that can
define Euclidean division. In the sympy polynomial code all uses of
degree are in the polynomial division, gcd and factor code because the
main use of degree is in defining division.

Oscar