Hi all,
Sage has had a review process for over 15 years, but a combination of
recent changes has led to the merging of a PR into sage-10.4.beta3 of a
change (#36964 <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36964>) that I
believe should not (yet) have been merged.  In #37796
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37796> I created a PR to revert the
change, which was opposed by the author of the original change.  After some
voting <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37796#issuecomment-2053675535>
using the disputed PR policy
<https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/IgBYUJl33SQ/m/kvmOlVb1AQAJ>,
Matthias has asked
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37796#issuecomment-2061926393> for a
vote on sage-devel about this reversion, in accordance with the section
that "This process is intended as a lower-intensity method for resolving
disagreements, and full votes on sage-devel override the process described
below."  I am therefore asking you to vote (+1 means merge #37796
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37796> in order to revert #36964
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36964>).

First, here are the relevant parts of the history of this particular change:

- #36964 <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36964> was created on
December 25 by Matthias, positively reviewed
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36964#pullrequestreview-1796972215>
by Kwankyu on Decemebr 27, disputed, received enough votes
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36964#issuecomment-2041646521> to
get a positive review on April 7, and was merged
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36964#issuecomment-2053520605> by
Volker on April 12.  It had dependencies: #37667,
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37667>#36951
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36951>, and #36676
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36676>.  While #37667
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37667> had positive review and was
already been merged, the other two were still disputed: they had received
an initial positive review but others objected and discussion was ongoing.

- #37667 <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37667> is not disputed.

- #36951 <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36951> was created on
December 23 by Matthias, positively reviewed
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36951#pullrequestreview-1799928234>
by Kwankyu on January 1, disputed, received enough votes
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36951#issuecomment-2041636273> (3-1)
to change to positive review on April 7, had a clarification to bring back
to (3-2) and remove positive review, then was included in the merge of
#36964 <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36964>. On April 13, John
Palmieri voted in favor
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36951#issuecomment-2053686090>, so
the current vote stands at 4-2, enough for the 2-1 threshold in order to
get positive review under the disputed voting process.

- #36676 <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36676> was created on
November 8 by Matthias, positively reviewed
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36676#issuecomment-1813306867> by
John Palmieri on November 15, and then disputed.  The most recent count was 6-4
in favor
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36676#issuecomment-2050362637>
(falling short of the 2-1 ratio needed under the disputed voting process);
since then I voted
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36676#issuecomment-2050531437> in
favor, it was included in the merge of #36964
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36964>, and then Martin voted
against.

At issue is the PR #36676 <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36676>,
where discussion was still ongoing when #36964
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36964> was merged.  The reversion of
this PR proposed is purely for process reasons (I voted in favor of #36676
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36676> before all this happened!).
The 5 Sage developers opposed to #36676
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36676> deserve to have our processes
followed.  What went wrong?

I think what happened resulted from a combination of the new disputed
voting process, mismatched expectations around dependencies after the move
to github, and Volker's release management scripts.  Several developers
privately expressed concern prior to this merge about exactly this outcome,
and I reassured them that dependencies would be taken into account.
Unfortunately, dependencies are now (unlike in trac) just a text section of
the PR comment, and the release scripts only see the label.

There are lots of things to discuss around this chain of events.  I ask
that everyone keep this thread focused on whether to merge #37796
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37796> in order to revert #36964
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36964>.  Some other topics, and
places I suggest for discussing them:
- Ways to improve or eliminate the disputed voting process: I suggest
Dima's recent thread <https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/1eLrTCa7tVA>.
- The merits of #36676 <https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36676>: I
suggest discussing this either in the comments on that PR, or starting a
new sage-devel topic if you have broader changes to raise about sage
development.
- Broader discussion of technical differences or philosophy: start a new
thread.

I suggest a deadline of Sunday April 21 at 23:59 US/Pacific for this vote.

Finally, many of these PRs have been plagued by conflict and inappropriate
language.  Please, keep comments friendly in this discussion.
David