On Thursday, May 9, 2024 at 2:18:41 AM UTC-7 Volker Braun wrote:

+1 to the general idea of maintainers for distinct subtrees

As far as the implementation, I'd rather follow a model where there is a
single merge queue at the end (currently me, could be automated when the CI
is stricter and developers do not / cannot ignore it any more). [...]

Really all you need is to
* have a "CI Build & Test" tag whose PR's are merged in before CI runs.
* maintainer sets positive review on tickets under his responsibility

That would also be fine with me, of course. I've
opened https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/37971 for it