I find it quite difficult to understand the Sage code so I can't
really review the PR. I will say though that I think that this is an
important change to make. Both SymPy and Sage reach deeply into
mpmath's internals which means that mpmath itself is hamstrung when it
comes to future improvements. It would be easy to bring significant
improvements in performance for mpmath just by making use of
python-flint if it was easier to rearrange mpmath's internal code
without breaking SymPy and Sage.

I just removed one part of SymPy's usage of mpmath internals in:

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/26861

There is still plenty more to do though to reach the point where SymPy
only uses mpmath's "public" interfaces though.

--
Oscar