On Wed, Sep 4, 2024 at 11:13 PM Marc Culler <marc.cul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that here you are seeing caching taking place, rather than a memory
> leak.  This is what I tried:

You call this caching, I call it leak, it can be both ways.
It is natural to compute the class numbers of QQ[sqrt(-n)] and
it shouldn't takes GBs of RAM IMHO.

Default pari is significantly faster with stack 40MB,
is there drama nfinit vs bnfinit?:

allocatemem(40*10^6);
default(timer,1);
{f(N)=
for(a=1,N,
K=bnfinit('x^2+a);
m=K.clgp.no;
);
}

? f(10^4)
cpu time = 5,028 ms, real time = 5,057 ms.
? f(10^5)
cpu time = 1min, 14,328 ms, real time = 1min, 15,146 ms.